Sunday, September 11, 2011

"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." -Abraham Lincoln

I have a reached a point where I'm comfortable and bitter.  I am comfortable with the Florence bus system, but I detest how crowded and slow it is; I am comfortable with saying "Good Morning," but I can't remember how to say what I did yesterday.  It's frustrating.  In so many ways I am unhappy here and I have spent the last few days asking myself why I chose to come on this adventure.  It's only week three, and already I'm bored and sick of the routine:  eat, sleep, and go to class; go here, go there, and spend money.  If I have a free day, everyone else seems to want to go out of town or  go shopping.  Am I the only one on a budget?  There is more to life than consuming material items and yet that seems to be what most people want to do.  It gets old really fast.
However, despite this bad taste in my mouth, I am trying to have faith in God; I am trying to have faith  that my life is unfolding as it should and that I am in Florence, Italy for a reason.  I have come to terms with being away from Stephen (I know he'll be waiting for me when I get back).  It doesn't mean that I don't miss him every day, it just means that I am not crying myself to sleep every night anymore.
Since my last post, I have visited both Pisa and Siena.  Pisa was...Pisa;  a leaning tower, a cathedral, and a bunch of souvenir shops.  The tower was cool even though I have seen it before, but it lost its luster after about five minutes.  (See what I mean?  I'm bitter.).  Siena, on the other hand, was rather enjoyable. I think it has been my favorite place that we have visited so far (despite the fact that every time we pass a building or a statue we have to have a 20-minute discussion about it).  I am coming to loath the phrase, "Now, let's stop here for just a MINUTE."  I understand that I am on an educational excursion, but I am more of an independent learner.  I don't mind hearing a few historical facts here and there, but when I go into a cathedral or pass by a statue, I like to take it all in at my own pace in my own mind.  ANYWAY, truly, Siena was great.  I think what I liked about it most was that it didn't have the big-city, playboy atmosphere that Florence has.  There are shops, but they are very small and quaint.  There are virtually no cars, only bikes.  It's quiet and peaceful.  And there is a general absence of the stench of consumerism.  I like that.
Well, tomorrow is Monday and I am THRILLED.  I mean, I can't even contain my excitement!  I'm being sarcastic, of course.  Although, I guess when you think about, tomorrow is one step closer to the future.  No, let me rephrase that:  tomorrow IS the future.  Hopefully, the future will be a bit sweeter, but I will only know if I take it in slowly, one day at a time.

The cemetery at the church of San Miniato.  I wonder if the statue is as tired as I am of being stuck in the same place?  If I asked her that she would probably say, "But, I have no choice.  I am only made of stone.  You are human.  If you don't like where you're at, you can go elsewhere."  She would be right, of course.  One...day...at...a...time.

No comments:

Post a Comment