Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"It's a journey....and I want....to go." -Nikki Giovanni

In one month and seven days I will embark on a journey; I will turn my world upside down and enter the majestic and breathtaking world that is Italia.  I will leave behind me many things that I love dearly:  the creature comforts of home, my family, my partner (Who I hope has been taking notes when I cook!  Oh well, I guess there’s always Hamburger Helper!), countless friends, my professors at Coe College (home of the Kohawks!), and the list goes on.  What are the chances that I will cry as hard as I did when Bea Arthur kicked the bucket?  Very high.  Am I scared?  I’m terrified.  Will I squeal with delight as soon as I touch down on Italian soil (err, pavement…)?  Get ready to plug your ears!  Can I contain my excitement?  Girl, please!  Not even a pack of wild dogs could contain me!

Like most epic (hopefully, that is) events in life, it’s always best to have no expectations.  If you have no expectations, then you will be surprised (hopefully, pleasantly) no matter what happens.  But, I’m only human and because of this, having no expectations is…well….let’s just say I suck at it!  Therefore, because I do have expectations, I have decided to condense them into a list of very broad goals/rules for myself.  Perhaps, you, too, can refer to this list when you set out on your next journey.  Although, isn’t life itself just one great, slightly bumpy journey?  Hmmmmm….something to ponder!

Goals/Rules for my Italian Adventure (Or, perhaps, for life in general.  Take it however you like):

1. Be honest and intentional.
2. Be open-minded while also remembering where it is that you come from.
3. Learn all that you can.
4. Find beauty in frustration.
5. Share your story, but leave enough time in your day to hear the stories of others.
6. Seek truth but also be comfortable with uncertainty.
7. Know that an infinite beyond this world is serving as your guide even when it is not visually obvious.
8. Eat, drink, and for heaven’s sake be merry!

This list is by no means concrete; every day brings with it new troubles, new reasons to laugh, and new conversations.  But, this list of eight things seems to be a good starting point.  And speaking of lists: you don’t even want to see my PACKING list.  Some of my friends call me high maintenance but I would like to take this moment to respectfully disagree.  It’s called being prepared!  Although, do you think that the Kitchen Aid mixer and my four-month supply of hair spray are a bit excessive?


……….*shocked gasps, rolling eyes*……….


I’m only kidding!  Jeesh!  But, seriously, hair spray is so very essential! 

Well, I could write for hours, but there aren’t too many left in the day.  So, for now, I’ll say “Arrivederci!”  I have some books to read, laundry to fold, and dinner to finish.  I told you, my partner doesn’t cook!  He is pretty good about taking out the garbage, though!  ;)

Until next time!

-Tyler  J

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for our adventure but...first off... I cant wait to meet you! I think there is a good group of students going this fall and i really think we will all get along great and that makes me so happy.

    BTW, I am not packing the lightest either lol and hairspray is defiantly an essential.

    ReplyDelete