Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Love is a temple. Love is a higher law." -Mary J. Blige

 Ladies and gentlemen, your attention, if you please!  As of today, August 27, 2011 my adventure has begun!  And let me just say that getting to Florence was perhaps the most difficult journey I have ever traveled.  I mean, let’s leave out the intense winds that were laying the smack-down on Florence upon our arrival hereby forcing our pilot to land in Bologna from whence we took an hour-long bus ride to the city that has for decades been nicknamed the “cradle” of the Italian language (Florence, duh!).  Those sorts of delays/mishaps are to be expected when traveling.  No, what made this journey so difficult was the emotional pain that it inflicted.  Let me set the stage for you…
        
Friday, August 26, 2011.  It’s 6 A.M. and I, like always, got up to make a pot of coffee.  I rolled over and looked at Stephen for a few moments (he looks like an angel when he sleeps, and I mean that).  I made my way to the kitchen and started to fill up the coffeemaker when it suddenly hit me like someone had driven their fist through my stomach, reached up, and yanked my heart out:  “This is the last time I’ll be doing this for a good long while.”  I had to put the coffeepot down on the counter to keep from dropping it (my hands started to tremble, you see).  I collapsed on the kitchen floor and started to bawl.  I felt sick, my skin was hot, and the tears just kept on coming.  When Stephen got up (exactly 40 minutes before I left) it took all I had to keep from crying when I looked at him.  When he kissed me one last time, I didn’t want him to stop.  I almost wanted to grab my suitcase, turn back around, and walk back to our little two-bedroom apartment with him at my side.  But, I didn’t.  True love is immortal and I decided in that moment that I was going to make it my greatest weapon.  My love for Stephen is not going to be a source of weakness on this little trip of mine.  It’s going to be my greatest strength.  It’s kind of like in Titanic when Jack says to Rose, “If you jump, I jump.”  Even though I despise Leonardo what’s his face as an actor, (I really do know his name, I just don’t feel like typing it), that’s exactly the kind of attitude I’m going to have.  Love is supposed to lift you up, not tear you down.  Even though I’m half way around the world, I can still feel Stephen’s unyielding love for me thumping onward like a drum.  We’ve got our own rhythm going and it’s going to be my anthem every minute that I’m here.  It’s Italy for heaven’s sake!  It’s like the most romantic country on earth!  What better way to experience it than with my heart so full of love?

ANYWAY, I think you get the point:  long-distance love = lots of crying and the eventual realization that love knows no limits.  <3

So, here I sit:  somewhere in the heart of Florence with the window open and my flying buddies Jessica and Erin at my side.  What more can I say?  I’m tired.  The breeze coming through the window is refreshing.  And I’m wondering what this bed I’m on is made out of.  It’s like lying on a big fluffy cloud!  Sleep sure sounds lovely right about now…

Oh, but, one more thing before I go:  the next time you’re in Florence, go to La Lampara Pizzeria and ask for Nat!  He’s like super short, has a squeaky voice, and is perhaps one of the most adorable old men I’ve ever seen!  He gave us a round of lemon cello on the house (if you don’t know what lemon cello is, look it up!) and 15% off of our next meal.  Oh, these Italians!  Hospitality and friendship, it seems, are what they live for.  I think it’s going to be okay.  No, scratch that. I AM GOING TO BE OKAY. 

Ciao! 

P.S. Stephen if you’re reading this, know that I love you and miss you more than you can imagine.  I can’t wait for you to come and visit me!


Above:  After over ten hours in the air, being able to lie horizontal almost brought me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment